Soup Season is my favorite and I'm here with soup number two of the season, the great and mighty Chicken Tortilla Soup.
If you missed the first edition, check out the very yummy Creamy Roasted Tomato Soup.
The other day I told Josh I was making this for the blog and he gave me a disgusted look and said something about "soggy tortillas". I immediately wanted to punch him for doubting my soup skills like that and assured him... Oh no, no, no my friend. There are no limp noodle tortillas in this delicious Mexican chili. Cross my heart.
The backbone of this soup is the shredded crockpot chicken. It is so ridiculously good all by itself.
Throw some chicken breasts in a crockpot in the morning with salsa and taco seasoning and let some magic happen while you go about your day. If you want to live a little, add cream cheese 30 minutes before it's finished cooking.
Trust me here, you will not regret it.
This chicken is fantastic for salads, taquitos, tacos, nachos, basically any vehicle for spiced, tender shredded chicken.
The ingredient list for the soup can look daunting but never fear, they are all common ingredients. Everything gets tossed in a large pot and simmers for 30 minutes.
That's it! Finito!
If you really want to make this baby sing, make some home made fried tortilla strips. It's very simple and takes about 3 minutes. You simply cut corn tortillas into strips and fry in a little bit of coconut oil on the stove. Salt them and add them to the top of your soup!
Just like regular chili, this experience is all about your toppings. I love to do lime juice, finely diced red onion, sour cream, avocado slices, tortilla strips and cilantro.
Oh, and just so you know, Josh ended up eating almost an entire leftover container by himself so I think it's safe to say he approves, smirk.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
Makes 6-8 servings
Crockpot Mexican Chicken
6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Taco seasoning packet, or spices listed below
16oz jar of salsa, or homemade
8oz cream cheese
Medium Taco Seasoning
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
Chicken Tortilla Soup
1 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 green pepper, diced
1 red pepper, diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 cups shredded crockpot chicken
1 15oz can black beans, drained
1 15oz can corn, drained
1 10oz can diced tomatoes and chiles
1 32oz box chicken broth
Red onion, diced
Tortilla strips, or homemade below
Fried tortilla strips
Corn tortillas, cut into small strips
- First, prepare the crockpot chicken. Place chicken breasts, taco seasonings and salsa in a crockpot and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6-8 hours. If you're looking for more of a mild flavor and mixing your own taco seasoning, reduce the chili powder by half and do not include the red pepper flakes. 30 minutes before your chicken is finished, add the cream cheese. After it's done cooking, stir and shred with forks until cream cheese is all blended.
- For the soup, heat olive oil over medium heat in a large stock pot. Add onion, garlic, peppers, salt and pepper to the pot. Stir and continue cooking for 3-5 minutes, or until soft and fragrant. Add the tomato paste and stir well. Continue cooking another 3 minutes to cook out the canned tomato taste.
- Add the shredded chicken, beans, corn, tomatoes and green chiles and chicken broth to the pot. Simmer on low heat for 30 minutes.
- Prepare your fried tortilla strips if making your own (they're so delicious and easy!!!). Heat a few tablespoons of coconut oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Coconut oil has a lower smoking point than other oils so be sure to keep an eye on it and turn heat down as needed. Test one corn tortilla strip to see if your oil is hot enough. Fry in batches and remove to a paper towel-lined plate. Salt immediately.
- Serve your soup! Squeeze lime juice and add all of your desired toppings. Enjoy!!!!