If you read this blog closely, you may have noticed I teased this before when I mentioned the handful of recipes my mama would make for us growing up.
You missed that?
Well, never fear, if you're dying to read it again you can in the Chicken Salad post.
These Lemon and Oregano Chicken Wings have been one of my favorites since I was a young buck. My grandma Lucy made this for my mom, who made it for me and my sister and now I make it for my babies.
I love how it connects generations and generations through time.
One of the reasons this is a family favorite is because it is so dang simple. And fast. Which makes getting dinner on the table after a long day and with cranky ass kids running around throwing playdoh and shitting their pants really convenient.
...Oh? Only in my house?
^^ tips up! Keep reading.. you'll get it....
When purchasing the chicken, I like to use the large wings instead of the small drumettes and shanks. But if you want to serve many for a larger party, this would work well for the small wings as well.
That's another beautiful thing about this recipe - you can adjust it really easily as you need to for however many you're serving.
Skip the marinading because honestly, you don't need to. Let's agree to stop doing wasteful shit we don't need to? Who's with me?!
All you need are a few ingredients and about 20 minutes to put this together and the flavors are perfecto every single time.
For this chicken we use heaps of dry oregano to season, oil to brown the meat, some salt, pepper and garlic powder, and lastly, generous amounts of lemon juice. Your broiler does all the work, or you can grill them if you dig that sort of thing.
That is it.
For realzies. Bible. No lie. Cross my heart. You get it.
Lemon and Oregano Chicken Wings
Makes 14 large chicken wings
3.5 pounds chicken wings, or 14 pieces (this was the family pack from Wegmans)
1/4 cup olive oil
6 tablespoons dry oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Turn your oven to broil on high and make sure your rack is in the middle. Lay your chicken wings tips up in the air on a large backing sheet (see photos above for "tips up" example). Brush each with olive oil. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder and 3 tablespoons of oregano. The other half of the spices will be for after you flip the wings over.
- Broil for 10-12 minutes, or until wings are turning golden brown. The tips will darken first so don't sweat that. But also try not to light them on fire..... just a tip.
- Remove the pan and flip all the chicken wings over. Repeat seasoning again - brush with oil and season with remaining salt, pepper, garlic powder and oregano.
- Broil again for 6-8 minutes or until chicken is golden brown and reads 165˚.
- Remove from oven and squeeze generous amounts of lemon juice over all the wings.