Ah, the good ole, trusty breakfast hash.
One of my dearest breakfast loves, we've been building a strong relationship for a good two years and I'm excited to share this one with you!
My love for breakfast hash, and really just veggie filled breakfast with eggs, came two years ago when I did the Whole30 after having Nora, and before we got married. For some ridiculous reason, I thought it would be totally cool to get married 4 months after having a baby... insert question face emoji here, and then face palm emoji immediately after. Silly self!
The best thing about breakfast hash is it really can be anything you want it to be. You can go completely vegetarian here or add meat. Use sweet potatoes or regular, sweet peppers or spicy, fresh herbs, dry herbs. Top with poached eggs, soft boiled eggs or over easy. The list goes on and on.
Whichever way you decide, this dish is sure to keep you filled well into lunch.
For this little bitty I went classic - potatoes, sweet peppers, bacon, onion, kale and eggs. I also love the combo of fresh rosemary and potatoes so I pulled some of that from our little herb garden.
All of it can be made in one large skillet for easy clean up.
Be forewarned, this is not a breakfast to throw together quickly before work. This baby takes some tender love and care. Those potatoes will take 20-25 minutes to soften so save this one for a leisure brunch or weekend breakfast while you nurse a cup of coffee.
Skillet Breakfast Hash
serves 2-3 people
1 pound mini potatoes, quartered or halved depending on size
1 onion, peeled, halved and sliced
6 mini sweet peppers, sliced
Handful of kale leaves, I used curly but any works
4 slices of bacon, cooked and chopped
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cook off your bacon in a cast-iron or large skillet over medium heat. I cooked a whole pack and reserved a few pieces for the hash. Remove the bacon from the pan to a paper towel-lined plate and drain the bacon fat into a glass container or bowl.
- Keeping your heat on medium, cook the onion in the pan you used for the bacon, adding a teaspoon or so of bacon fat. Cook 3-5 minutes, until translucent. Remove from the pan to a dish or bowl.
- Add the potatoes and another 1-2 teaspoons of bacon fat. Cook on medium heat, stirring often. Add the rosemary and season with the salt and pepper. Continue cooking until the potatoes are fork tender, about 20 minutes. If they're browning but still hard, try covering the pan for a few minutes to steam them a bit.
- Push the potatoes to the edges of the pan and pour the peppers and kale in the center. Cook down with a bit more bacon fat until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add the bacon and onion back to the pan and stir everything together. Season with a bit more salt.
- Create three wells in the pan. Crack one egg in each well and cover with a lid. Cook for 3-4 minutes, or until egg whites have cooked. Remove from heat and add sliced avocado and chives, if you feel that!
Share the pan with a friend or two and enjoy!
Hadley really wanted to show you how we enjoyed ours :)
Breakfast hash 4 lyfe! Bye friends <3