Sweet baby boos, my beloved tacos.
Being able to eat tacos for breakfast is basically the only reason to live this life. Okay, that's dramatic, but I think you feel me on this.
Personally, I enjoy a meatless breakfast, and these roasted sweet potatoes and scratch-made black beans are perfectly filling and a wonderful way to jump-start your day.
Pair those veggies with some cumin-spiced scrambled eggs, a fresh made pico, some toasted tortillas and an avocado sauce and you've got yourself a real gourmet situation.
I've had this debate on Instagram before but I should be up front with you... I'm a corn tortilla girl. Something about that corn flavor just lights my fire!! Josh is a flour man. We're a house divided!
For these tacos, I went the flour route. I wanted a more substantial tortilla since the black beans can make the tortillas soggy. If you'd like to use corn for yours, I'd suggest doubling up on the tortilla to prevent the dreaded and tragic tortilla tear! There's nothing worst!!!!
Want to look like a real taco connoisseur? Check out these nifty taco stands!
Just more reasons to make tacos, all day, E V E R Y D A Y.
Sweet Potato & Black Bean Breakfast Tacos
*Makes about 6 tacos
Scratch-made Black Beans
1 pound dried black beans
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large red onion, peeled, halved and sliced
2 green peppers, seeded and chopped
2 teaspoons cumin
1/2 teaspoon oregano
4 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon chili powder
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 medium red onion, peeled, halved and sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Pico de Gallo
1 large tomato, seeded and diced
1/2 red onion, finely diced
Juice of one lime
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1 ripe avocado
1/4 cup sour cream
Dash of Tabasco's green jalapeño pepper sauce
Salt to taste
6 eggs, or however many you'd like for your group
1/2 teaspoon cumin
Salt and Pepper to taste
6 soft flour tortillas, or however many for your party
- Find the instructions for the scratch-made beans on this Black Bean Breakfast Bowl post.
- Preheat your oven to 400°. Combine the chopped sweet potato, sliced red onion, olive oil, salt and pepper in a medium sized bowl. Spread evenly in one layer on a baking sheet and roast for about 20-25 minutes until fork-tender, stirring halfway.
- In a bowl combine the diced tomato, onion, lime juice, salt and cilantro. Taste and season more as needed.
- Using a blender or by hand, blend the avocado, sour cream, jalapeño sauce and salt until smooth and creamy. Add water or more sour cream if it's too thick.
- Over a low stove flame or on the grill, heat your tortillas on both sides for about 30 seconds. Wrap in tin foil to keep warm until ready to serve.
- Scramble the eggs to your liking and season with cumin, salt and pepper.
- Time to assemble!! On your warmed tortilla, layer the roasted veggies, a scoop of black beans, eggs, pico and avocado sauce. Garnish with more cilantro
SHOVE IN YOUR PIE HOLE!
Thank you Corinne of Love to the Core Photography for capturing these images!